Email updates

You can now register an email address to follow the Blog, just enter your email address in the box and follow the instructions. You will get a maximum of one email per day, but only when the blog has been updated.

Friday 20 November 2020

Watching and waiting



I’ve spent another week using the garden as a way to escape from the crushing reality of lockdown. This week I put a bird feeder in the garden. It is a tall one that has many hooks for the feeders to hang from. It also has a basket type arm for loose seed and one for a water dish.

I have watched each day to see if the birds had taken any interest. First up was the local Pidgeon which was on all counts huge. A round pillowy specimen who realised it could sit in the water dish and help itself to the seed. 

Next up was the squirrel. Now some may remember that I had shared my challenge with the squirrels destroying the plastic feeders in the past. This time I was prepared and had metal feeders. I also made a conscious decision to located the whole thing away from potential climbing points to discourage mr squirrel. 

He was adamant though, and I watched as he tried to climb up the pole. Satisfyingly  he slid down. 

1-0 to me. 

Then in a feat of bravery he launched himself off the fence and landed with a thump on the very top! 

1-1 

Well I was equally impressed and annoyed. Soon he got himself into the seed and the less robust feeder.

1-2 to Mr Squirrel. 

So today I removed the water dish so he could not copy what the pigeon was doing, sitting at leisure and stuffing his chops.

2-2.a draw for now!

Anyway, after these frequent visitors were managed I have started to see more and more birds arrive. A robin, blue tits, blackbirds, a thrush, and a jackdaw. There are others and I am beyond excited to see them.

As I watched the sun start to set, I listened to the birds sing and in my mind I had a glimpse of summer, where the longer nights are set to a backdrop of birdsong. I closed my eyes and I could smell the perfume of grass and flowers in the heavier warm air.

In that moment I realised that whatever happens over these next couple of weeks, the seasons will continue to change. And that also means Christmas will arrive too whatever it looks like. 

The celebration of Jesus Christ being born in a manger, fed and swaddled by his blessed mother, will happen. 

Our remembering of God dwelling with us will happen. 

It might not be how we expected it, but God’s love and joy will find a way to us, all we need to do is to keep watch.

I will keep watch over these next few weeks to see what other birds will arrive in the garden. And as I do, I will keep watch for glimpses of God’s love and joy as we journey towards Advent and then Christmas.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment