Email updates

You can now register an email address to follow the Blog, just enter your email address in the box and follow the instructions. You will get a maximum of one email per day, but only when the blog has been updated.

Sunday 7 June 2020

A Haven for God's Creation


A Haven for God’s Creation.


Once again Edna has given us a glimpse of her garden which is so very beautiful and lovely and a real haven for God’s creation.



Edna writes – bees this week, 4 different species visiting flowers in the garden and hopefully pollinating my broad beans, although some of the larger bee’s cheat and cut a hole in the base of the flower for the nectar.

I also managed to get a photo of the 3 crow chicks just before they fledged.








My blog last week also brought back some fond memories of Edna’s childhood days.


I was watching an interview with Captain Tom the other day, I think it was on Countryfile, and he was talking about catching sticklebacks as a child, I remember that’s something we did, we were lucky to live near Alexandra Park and used to fish with our nets in the boating lake and bring home our catch in jam jars.  We used to look for caterpillars on the tree trunks down the main walk and have races with them!  I don’t remember the ice-cream van coming round, only the rag and bone man, that makes me feel old!
Today being Whit Friday I’ve been enjoying looking at various videos of previous years whit walks and band contests and some made for today posted on Facebook - #saddleworthdayofmusic.
I hope people enjoyed looking at the photos from our whit walk last year posted by David on the blog.  The weather seems to be better on Whit Sunday than Whit Friday, perhaps there’s a message there.

I remember the rag and bone man and my nana always got a donkey stone from him. I wonder how many of you know what a donkey stone is?
I also have fond memories of the Whit walks. I was always taken to Silvana’s in Manchester, think it was in the Ancoats area to buy the dress. Don’t think it exists any more. My memories may serve me wrong but I don’t remember any Whit walks were the sun didn’t shine. Maybe it’s my rose-tinted glasses!

And lastly, Archie is learning the art of improvisation. You may think they are goal posts but they aren't. The little green ball gives you a clue. Maybe he is going to take after his daddy and be a golfing fan. Incidentally, Archie set this up himself. 








No comments:

Post a Comment