Email updates

You can now register an email address to follow the Blog, just enter your email address in the box and follow the instructions. You will get a maximum of one email per day, but only when the blog has been updated.

Sunday 6 September 2020

 Spiders, Bats and the Pulpit.

How many of you reading this are frightened of those little 8-legged creatures that we find creeping around our homes, garden sheds and even churches?

All my daughters were afraid of spiders. I came home one day to find them standing on the bed, my mum hitting the floor with her slipper and the girls shouting, it’s there, granny, no not there, there. It was quite hilarious because my mum had very poor eyesight and didn’t stand much of a chance of getting it. One of my daughters has attempted to get over her fear of spiders by holding a tarantula!!!

Having a bat in the bedroom provoked the same fearful response from my daughters. One evening a bat decided to explore my daughter’s bedroom. It was dark outside the window and curtains were open and the light was on. In came Pat the Bat (as we named it). My delightful daughters locked me in the bedroom and demanded that I got rid of it, and wouldn’t let me out until I had done this. This I dutifully did and I might add Pat the bat wasn’t harmed in any way.

Whilst I am not fearful of bats or spiders, once upon a time I was fearful of speaking in public and the thought of standing in the pulpit sent shivers down my spine and filled me with dread. I still remember the fear of walking up those pulpit steps for the very first time, I thought it was a lonely place to be. But you know I quickly realised I wasn’t alone. A wonderful sense of calm came over me and I just knew that God hand me in the palm of his hand and the Holy Spirit was with me.

“For I am the Lord our God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, do not fear; I will help you.    (Isaiah 41:13

God has certainly helped me through some very difficult and fearful times. Whatever your fears,  anxieties, take them to the Lord in prayer and he will indeed help you through. 

    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment