Email updates

You can now register an email address to follow the Blog, just enter your email address in the box and follow the instructions. You will get a maximum of one email per day, but only when the blog has been updated.

Monday 22 February 2021

Spring Cleaning.

I was on holiday last week. Before the pandemic, I would have spent time with or gone to visit relatives and friends in various parts of the country. As the holiday approached, I wondered how I was going to fill my time. I needn’t have worried or wondered as the week flew by rather too quickly. So what did I get up to?

Amongst other things, I began to tidy some cupboards. I suppose you could say that I started my spring cleaning a little early. My husband was very good at chucking things out and lived by the old adage; if in doubt chuck it out. With his words ringing in my ears, I began sorting and chucking out. The floor was covered in papers, books, information leaflets, files, along with quite a few items that I had forgotten I had. I quickly filled the paper recycling bin but at the end of it, all the cupboards are looking extremely tidy. I now have much more space to start hoarding again!! Not a very exciting start to my holiday but very necessary

More exciting was the walk I had with my family last Sunday. It was worth braving the bitterly cold weather to admire the beautiful unspoilt countryside in the depths of winter. Icicles hung from the waterfall at Cheesden Lumb, sheep grazed beside the path we walked along and ducks stood around on frozen water presumably waiting for the ice to melt.

Walking was a little treacherous in parts as you can see from the picture below but somehow we all managed to stay upright.  


This lockdown does strange things to you either that or it is a sign of getting older but I am taking more of an interest in the garden. So, my week off also involved planting some miniature daffodils with my grandson Archie and then doing what Archie loves best, watering them.


So what does spring cleaning, walking in the cold depths of winter and planting daffodils
have to do with the season of Lent? The word lent is derived from the Anglo-Saxon word Lencten which means spring and also relates to the lengthening of daylight hours. After the cold depths of winter, we are brought into the new life of spring when nature is awoken. Also, spring is traditionally the time to do some spring cleaning not only of our homes but also of our spiritual life.
This week let us take time to consider what we might need to do to spring clean our spiritual lives in preparation for Easter and the glorious resurrection of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ. 



No comments:

Post a Comment